On Mar 27, 2011, Toronto Brigantine Officers went on a tour of the Historic James Norris while she is docked in Toronto Harbour for the winter.
Here are some pictures from that trip, but there are more on TBI’s Facebook Page.
Several of the TBI Alumni from the 2011 Officer crew, have gone on to Marine colleges. They are following the footsteps of other TBI officers who have gone on to have successful careers in Marine Industry. Several of these TBI Alumni have even sailed on the James Norris.
- The James Norris was TBI Alumnus Bart Greer’s (1987-1992) first ship after he graduated from Georgian College’s Marine program.
- Doug Galvin (TBI 1973-1977, 2011) sailed on James Norris after her conversion to a self unloader.
- And then there is the James Norris’s Captain Peter Klaassen who was TBI Alumnus from 1979-1983.
Here is an article about the James Norris from Northumberland Today, “Welcome Aboard”, Fall 2010, where Captain Peter Klaassen gives a day-in-the-life view about James Norris. In the article, Klaassen says he first got a taste of marine life when he was aboard the Pathfinder for five years starting in 1979. “The brigantines that opened my eyes to life on the water”, he says.
The tour of the James Norris wasn’t the first tour of “big ships” taken by the Toronto Brigantine Officers.
- In Mar 2010, they visited SS Montrealais.
- In Jan 2011, they went on a tour of Peter R Creswell.
- And they visited the Cuyahoga in February 2011.
Toronto Brigantine appreciates the support of the Marine Industry and we look forward to including them in the Celebration of our 50th Anniversary on Nov 10, 2012.
Toronto Brigantine Inc
413-215 Spadina Ave, Toronto ON M5T 2C7
tel: 416-596-7117 e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered Canadian Charity 11926 5924 RR0001