Updated January 27, 2011
The costs for “safety” both operating costs and capital investment costs, are one part of our overall fundraising budget.
Toronto Brigantine Inc spends over $13,000 of our annual operating expenses for the replacement and maintenance of our safety equipment on our two boats and our workshop.
- The costs of inspecting and repacking our life rafts (we have six of them that need to be inspected every two years)
- the restock our first aid kits in our workshop and on the boats.
- It will cost of $1,000 to add lights on all our life jacket as a new requirement by Transport Canada.
- Our harnesses cost $3,000 in 2010.
- And life jacket replacements cost $250 each and life jacket re-arms cost $100 each.
In addition to the operating expenses related to Safety, almost $200,000 of our $300,000 planned spend on capital in the next three years is related to safety and include the following:
- $12,000 – upgrades to first aid equipment including backboard, AED (Automated External Defibrillator), Oxygen ($6,000 per vessel),
- $6,000 – for new AC Fire Pump ($3,000 per vessel),
- $40,000 – upgrade of Electronic Suite ($20,000 per vessel including Radar, plotter, instrumentation, wiring). More details are provided here.
- $25,000 – for upgrades of electrical wiring (including conduit, panels, switches and lighting)
- $100,000 – new decks ($50,000 per vessel including wood, steel, other materials and labour). Details are provided here.
- In 2011, we are looking to buy two additional life rafts (preferred brand is DBC at over $10,000 each.
Toronto Brigantine’s is grateful for the 2010 contribution of $3,000 from Charles and Dianne Leggatt to cover the cost of 10 new climbing harnesses. And $3,000 from Great Lakes Cruising Club Foundation in 2010 to cover the cost of four of the life raft re-packs.
If you are interested in contributing cash or in-kind towards other elements of our safety equipment that we need for our youth sail training program, please contact TBI today:
Contact us today for more information about Toronto Brigantine’s Summer Program.
Toronto Brigantine Inc
413-215 Spadina Ave, Toronto ON M5T 2C7
Registered Canadian Charity 11926 5924 RR0001
Enjoy a safe sailing season!