Toronto Brigantine is a Registered Charity in Canada (11926 5924 RR0001) that provides leadership development programs through sail training on tall ships for teenagers aged 13 to 18. We have the capacity for up to 200 trainees each summer, and have delivered programming to 20,000 youth since we were founded in 1962. As we continue to grow, we are focused on marketing and fundraising.
We are really looking to increase awareness about our program as part of our overall fundraising objectives which include:
- Ensuring as many kids as possible are able to participate in the program – up to 200 berth capacity for the seven summer programs through marketing and partnership with other organizations
- Maximize our “shoulder season” programs for youth group sail events and adult sail training fundraising activities
- Our Annual fundraising campaign has two components to it:
- Building our bursary fund to support access to our programs for youth that might not otherwise be able to afford it.
- We also seek operating expenses (cash and in kind) in the category of safety training, the environment and for ongoing boat maintenance. Ongoing maintenance includes such things like paint, varnish, sandpaper, brushes, cleaning products, scrapers, woodworking power tools and saws, whipping twine and various woods. We have a ever growing wish list detailed here.
- We also have a capital campaign in place to raise almost $500,000 over the next three years to fund investment in our tall ships. These investments are primarily in the area of safety and the environment. One area for investment includes replacing our decks (Douglas Fir) and upgrading our taffrails (Mohagany). We are also looking for new communications and navigation equipment detailed here. While the ships are in great shape, upgrades are ongoing to ensure ongoing utmost safety of our trainees and compliance with Transport Canada regulations.
This year 2010 is an expanded focus on marketing and fundraising, even as we continue our diligent focus on the continued upkeep of the vessels and the safety of the sail program for our trainees and officers.
For more information about our programming and fundraising needs, please contact Toronto Brigantine office.
We look forward to celebrating our 50th anniversary with you in 2012!